Sigma Nu is committed to making our university a better place for all students. In recent years, Brother Greg Abt was the Student Government Association President and Brother Michael Mangrum was the Inter-Fraternity Council Vice-President of Recruitment, while Brother Greg Jarvis served as IFC President. Brothers Anthony Bencosme, Kabir Faiz, and Juan Patino are currently/previously on IFC. Brothers Chris Pena, Anthony Bencosme, and Jimmy Lauria also represent Sigma Nu as the only IFC organization on Greek Council. Currently, Brother Chandler Harper serves on SGA for their respective colleges and Brothers Edward Allision, Garry Davis, Dominic Innocenti, Thomas Hails, Greg Jarvis, Mike Roach, Ozaer Faroqui, Myron Grant, Edward Borroni, John Peter Polites, and Crimson Cloud served on the SGA in previous years. We are also involved in many other organizations such as the honors program, INCEPT, University Housing, NSCS, Aiesec, Greek Council, and intramural council. Countless numbers of our brothers have been named to the Mortar Board Society, Order of Omega (Greek honor society), Golden Key Honor Society, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, and the Honors Program to name a few.
Sigma Nu sets the standard for Intramural Athletics at GSU. We have won the All-Sports Trophy 17 out of 30 years…more than all other fraternities combined! Since 2008, we have finished in the top 2 for All-Sports every year! We compete in Football, Volleyball, Basketball, Soccer, Softball, Golf and many other sports throughout the year. We currently are the two-time defending softball champions, and the 2009 indoor soccer champions, and Brother Cyrus Wright is the current IFC Athlete of the Year. Multiple brothers are also members of the ultimate frisbee, triathlon, grappling, and indoor soccer clubs at GSU.
The Eta Gamma GPA is one of the highest GPA's amongst all fraternities. Eta Gamma’s academic program is designed to better prepare our brothers for their academic career. This past semester, we boasted 17 different brothers to the Dean’s and President’s Lists.
The Eta Gamma Chapter of Sigma Nu Fraternity has a long standing tradition of excellence in donating our time and efforts in raising money to benefit Scottish Rite, American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, Saint Jude's, Children’s Miracle Network, & Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta. To date, the chapter has raised over $300,000 for these causes. Our chapter has been recognized by Sigma Nu National Headquarters for our philanthropic efforts as one of the leading chapters in the Nation, and we have won the most (9) Communtiy Service Awards at GSU. Our current philanthropy is a neighborhood charter school in which we raised $5,000 this past fall to help with repairs and school supplies. This previous year, Brother Chris Pena formed the first annual Sigma Nu Smoke Out, which helped raise over $3,000 for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in one day!
Our social calendar includes some of the biggest events at Georgia State University. Sigma Nu hosts a variety of events such as: Trips to Helen, GA for Oktoberfest, Ski Trips to Tennessee, D.J. events, our Spring Formal (known as White Star), Luaus, and St. Patrick’s Day events. All are filled with tradition and are greatly anticipated by collegiate and alumni Brothers alike. With the different types of events we have and all the different people you will encounter, the communication tools that you will gain you can carry with you for the rest of your life. We also pride ourselves on sorority relations! In 2009, we held "Man of the Year" for Phi Mu (German Abreu), Zeta Tau Alpha (Adrian Cappuccitti) , and Alpha Omicron Pi (Zach Zanghi) and in 2010 for Delta Zeta (Garry Davis), Alpha Omicron Pi (Max Doss), and Zeta Tau Alpha (Myron Grant). Brother Chris Pena was also recently named Delta Zeta Man of the Year for 2011.
Awards and Recognitions
Sigma Nu at Georgia State University, or Eta Gamma Chapter, has a tremendous legacy of success. This chapter is committed to excellence. We accept nothing but the best and strive for it in all that we do. Those are strong statements, but the awards, accolades, and recognition that the Eta Gamma chapter has received speak for themselves. The Rock Award is the most coveted award given by the National Fraternity. It is based on every facet of a chapter. Academics, Athletics, Campus Involvement and Charitable Works are all considered in choosing a Rock Award winner. The Rock Award is only given out every 2 years to 10 of 240 Sigma Nu chapters nationwide. Our chapter is a FIVE time winner of this award (2nd all-time in the nation). Very few chapters have met this accomplishment.
- 17 out of 30 Times All-Sports Trophy Winner
- IFC Athelete of the Year 2010-2011 (Brother Cyrus Wright)
- 18 Time Deans Cup Winner (Most in IFC)
- 9 Time Community Service Award Winner (Most in IFC)
- 2000-2001 All-Sports Trophy Winner
- ‘01 & ‘03 Deans Cup for Campus Involvement
- ’04 Deans Cup for Academics
- '05 Deans Cup for Best Chapter
- Only Fraternity with over 50 Continuous years at GSU - Since 1959
- Only IFC Fraternity to receive 5 Star in '05, 07’, 08' , and 09’
- The Fraternity responsible for re-chartering Order of Omega (Greek Honor Society)
- Biggest On-Campus House
Most Recent Social Awards:
- 3 out of 5 Sorority Man of the Years for the last 2 years
- Brother Chris Pena was just recently named Delta Zeta Man of the Year for 2011
- Delta Zeta Fraternity of the Year 2011
- Brother Max Doss: Alpha Omicron Pi Man of the Year 2010-2011
- Brother Garry Ray Davis: Delta Zeta Man of the Year 2010
- Brother Adrian Cappuccitti: Zeta Man of the Year 2010
- Brother Myron Grant: Zeta Man of the Year 2011
- Brother Zack Zanghi Alpha Omicron Pi Man of the Year 2009
- Brother German Abreu Phi Mu Man of the Year 2009-2010
- Brother Nick Pineda Phi Mu Man of the Year 2008-2009
- Brother Garry Ray Davis Phi Mu Man of the Year 2007-2008
- Brother Micah Bray Delta Zeta Man of the Year 2007-2008
- Brother Matt Rogers Phi Mu Man of the Year 2006-2007
- Brother Andrew Gibson Mr. Alpha Omicron Pi 2006
- Winners of the last 3 Delta Zeta Turtle Races
- Winners of the last 3 Phi Mu Spring Flings
- Phi Mu Spring Fling King 2010 Brother Myron Grant
- Phi Mu Spring Fling King 2011 Brother Lanre Keyede
- Multiple Brothers on each Sorority Court